P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I was looking for the right words to express regret for

Customer Question

hi i was looking for the right words to express regret for making a bad choice - drinking to excess and becoming unruly. and am facing an article 15
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: yes - but want to write down my apology and send
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am currently being considered to enter West Point Prep school and am afraid this will affect my chicness of going - i was supposed to begin in July. * chances
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

In my experience, the following works best

1. Apologize. You committed a crime (what you are describing is a violation of UCMJ). If possible, be sincere.
2. Explain what you have learned from this. What specific lessons you have learned.

3. Explain your plan going forward, specifically how you will incorporate what you learned into your conduct going forward.

If you can convey the above sincerely? You stand a good chance having the audience believe you

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.