How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 117373
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

With less than 180 days of service, my grandson who is 18

Customer Question

With less than 180 days of service, my grandson who is 18 years old has decided he would rather go to school instead. For some reason he is receiving a 14-12b discharge. He has not been counseled of his rights to see an attorney. He has no phone privileges so how can I help to insure that he sees an attorney on base before the discharge. I am his grandmother and was his legal guardian prior to enlistment..
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Fort Lenard wood , Mo.
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can write or call the based JAG office and explain to them what is going on and that he is not allowed to call so you cannot communicate with him. Tell the JAG that as you cannot communicate with him, you do not know if he was given his rights and he did not know he could speak to JAG before the discharge and you would like them to speak to him. That is all you can do at this point, since he is an adult and liable for his own decisions and conduct.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.