P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I have been oklahoma national guard for 3 years on a six

Customer Question

I have been oklahoma national guard for 3 years on a six year contract. Six months ago I became a truck driver. I love the job, but it is difficult to make it back home for duty. Often I need time at home to accomplish some of my military duties. I don't have that time and I am becoming ineffectual. I was wondering if there was a way to break my contract early based on employment. I would have to pay back a bonus. I was trying to find out if it was possible.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: It's not my truck. I drive over the road for werner. But it is beautiful and a year old.
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No. I didn't want to breach the subject if it's not possible. I worry about their opinion of me. I am an NCO.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I may have covered everything
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if you can "buy out" your contract?