P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My son joint the marine reserve ship date is july but he was

Customer Question

my son joint the marine reserve ship date is july but he was accepted to college and the want to know if he can get out of the contract without hurting FUTURE MILITARY career that he wants to pursue . Also ill this affected him joining the ROTC program to become officer
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: instate
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: no yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. How is it your son plans to "get out of his contract"?? Is he planning to simply not report to bootcamp?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My question is if there is a way for him to get out of the contract before boot camp and if so , if this as well would not have a negative impact on him if he want to reenlist in a later date when he finishes college or to be a part of the ROTC while in college

Possible? In theory...he can certainly make the request to his chain of command. And, IF they grant the request? He would be issued an ELS (entry level separation).

This is a separation from the military...not a good separation...not a bad separation...really a "neutral"

But it will, in all likelihood, preclude his reentry into the service. For example, joining ROTC...he would need a "waiver"...and they are very tough to come by.

SO if the goal is to stay in or reenter? I would not advise he request to be released.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil