Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I was placed under an MPO from talking to my ex fiance and

Customer Question
now my family ius telling...
I was placed under an MPO from talking to my ex fiance and now my family ius telling me that she wants it lifted and she has apparently talked to my commander about it but they won't lift it how can she go about getting it removed
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Overseas
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: I haven't but she has
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I have not violated my order
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Military Law
5/10/2017
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, the commander has the authority over the MPO. While your family is saying she wants it dismissed, she will have to write a request from the commander and explain why the MPO is no longer necessary and that she is in no physical danger or danger of harassment. However, if the commander still does not agree to dismiss the MPO, you will need to go to the base JAG and ask them to assist in filing an appeal to the base CO and to the command over your CO to seek to get it lifted. It is not easy to get these lifted, but that is the process.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
she would need to send a formal letter to my commander and explain that she does not feel threatened anymore and that she would like to have it removed? And If he doesn't listen to her, then I would go talk to JAG and have them help me file an appeal to my commander to get it overturned?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, she would need to send a formal letter explaining why the MPO is no longer necessary and ask for it to be removed. The CO has the right to refuse her request and if he does you need to go to JAG to go to your CO superior to get it removed.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney