How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19314
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was discharged from the Navy with a general discharge

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** was discharged from the Navy with a general discharge under honorable conditions. I have an RE-4 separation code. Since I was discharged I have had my discharge changed to Honorable. But my re code is still the same im trying to find out if it is possible to upgrade my re code
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: I'm already discharged . I was discharged in 2013
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

It is possible, but you have to go through the right board to do it. You have to go through the DD Form 149 military records corrections board. That board applies the same standard to changing the RE code as you had to apply to getting the General changed.

Very few people get that upgrade, so good for you. But what you have to remember is that the concepts are not the same. People can get an honorable discharge but still not be allowed back to the service, so while characterization and RE codes are somewhat connected, they are not inseparable.

You have to file your claim with the DD Form 149 board stating that the RE code you have now is an error or an injustice.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.