Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I'm in the med board process and I just failed a UA. Will I

Customer Question
still continue with the med...
I'm in the med board process and I just failed a UA. Will I still continue with the med board or will they stop it?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No I havent
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Military Law
5/8/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Typically one they start a med board process they complete it. They do so because if you were not separated based on the UA, they'd still need to make a med determination. What happens though is that they suspend it (rather than just shut it down) until some resolution is reached with the UA. Sometimes, they complete the med board but suspend any action taken on the recommendations by the med board to wait on what command chooses to do with the UA. Then the separation is "dual processed" for consideration by a higher authority, to determine whether or not to separate based on the UA or allow the med board to take control.

The point is that there are many different ways that it could be processed and there really isn't any way to say will one they WILL do.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer