How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19176
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was denied retirement from the US Marines after 15 years

Customer Question

I was denied retirement from the US Marines after 15 years of service. I was told it was because I denied orders, however my orders were postponed because of a divorce i was going through. do I have any chance of having this reversed?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: I'm stateside.
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: I spoke to my Commander and SgtMaj. neither one gave my any assistance with my problem.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just wanted to see if there was anything i could do, it just seemed unfair.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

On the issue of retirement, you couldn't have that overturned. You have to serve 20 years to retire. If you were not on active duty or reserve orders, having good years for 20 years, you can't retire. You could file a DD Form 149 with the military records corrections board in an effort to allow reentry into the service so that you could complete 20 good years. You may be able to rejoin active or reserve if you are able to correct the record to give you a reelistment code that would allow reentry.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Related Military Law Questions