How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 3993
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is a US Army service member (E8), whom I've

Customer Question

my husband is a US Army service member (E8), whom I've recently separated from
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: He was abusive towards my kids and I so we left with the clothes on our backs when he was out of town. stateside We were stationed at Ft Bliss but he reports to Shaw AFB on May 10
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: That's my issue - there doesn't seem to BE a chain of command. He will not give us any money. We have no food, gas, or anything.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Who can I speak with regarding the separation pay if he's in between duty stations? thank you
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 4 months ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You need to file for divorce or separation as soon as possible. Once you file you can obtain benefits directly from the military such as child support and alimony. The military will dock his pay directly to meet his obligations to you. The military takes seriously making sure the family gets the funds they are entitled to from the service member.

BUT you need an attorney who is familiar with the documents that the military needs to get from you.

This link can help you find a Divorce Attorney in your area:

Since he is between duty stations it is important that youact on this quickly to avoid getting caught between the two duty stations. If you file now the Ft. Bliss Command can get the ball rolling. After he reports to Shaw you may have to deal with that command instead.

Here are attorneys in that locale:

In the meantime you can ask his Commanding Officer for assistance. Start with the Ft Bliss Command since he is still technically attached to Ft. Bliss.

This article may be useful.

As for attorneys fees sometimes the Court will direct the employed spouse to help pay those fees for the unemployed spouse.

The key for you right now it to

1) Contact a local attorney as soon as you can.

2) Contact the Ft. Bliss Commanding Officer's Office.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow up question and I do not respond immediately it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,