Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I'm preparing subpoena for information on retirement pay of…

Customer Question
I'm preparing subpoena for...

I'm preparing subpoena for information on retirement pay of army sergeant who was honorably discharged after 16 yrs active duty in 2014. I represent his ex-wife. Already subpoenaed and received his DD-214. Just researching address to serve DFAS and complete information needed. Tom Floeter NC Bar#39676

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the subpoena was issued in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

They have not been cooperative

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just wanted to confirm that DFAS address is correct on website

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The DDR-214 was returned b/c subpoena was not specific enough under 32 C.F.R 516.40 et seq. I want to make sure that I have properly requested all available documents for division of military pay and child support.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just don't want to have to jump through hoops a second time.
4/1/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

If he was retired with less than 20 years, you are likely focused in the wrong area...I bet that he is receiving VA compensation in lieu of retired pay.

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

If you are unwilling to speak on the phone I will opt out of this question and allow others to assist, if they are willing.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The website will likely send you an offer for a phone call for $59. PLEASE do not accept that or you will be charged $59 additional instead of $5 additional. You must first decline the offer for $59 before I am allowed to send you the $5 offer.

I am a user of this website, just like you and have no control over their billing.

Let me know if you have questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was running a recruiting station and was discovered to be having sexual relations with potential recruits, while at the same time was charged with domestic violence. They shipped him off to Korea for a year, swept it under the rug. My client thought he was dishonorable discharged, but the DDR-214 showed honorable discharge. I need to find out if he's receiving disability, retirement, or both. If all disability with no retirement, he is still short on child support. I would just like to have the bullet points for necessary information in my letter to accompany the subpoena, and the exact DFAS address or P.O. Box to send it to. I just want to avoid them sending it back saying it doesn't comply and make me send it again. Thanks for your help. A go-by would be helpful if you have one. Thanks. Tom Floeter NC Bar #39676