Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Can former alien abductees join the Coast Guard? I was

Customer Question
Can former alien abductees...

Can former alien abductees join the Coast Guard? I was abducted 3 times in the late 2000s, but it hasn't happened in years, and last I was abduvcted, they said they were done with me because of the heavy metal build up in my body. I really want to join the service, but I've been told if you've ever left the country you can't join. I mean, I guess an alien space ship orbiting Earth is technically out of the country, but 1. I didn't ask to go there, and 2. Isn't space like international waters?!?!?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside, looking to join

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I'm not in yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope, ready

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Forgot to ask, what if you declare patriot status?
3/21/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

It is not true that if you have ever left the country, you can't join. You just have to maintain your citizenship and, if you do that, then leaving the country is not a bar to citizenship.

What may be a bar to entry into the service here though is the underlying statement that you've been abducted. Fair or not, the overarching position in the U.S. is that alien abductions are not real, but rather, the product of a psychosis.

If you were to reveal the issue of abduction, that alone would likely be a bar.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.