Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Looking into getting re code upgraded, if possible.

Customer Question
Looking into getting re...

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have an re 4 code on my dd214.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
3/21/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

It is possible, but very difficult. The process itself is not difficult. You just file a DD Form 149 with the military records corrections board and that board can change an RE code if they see fit.

The issue though is that RE codes were never intended to be upgraded. An upgrade is the idea that after some period of time, without any other problems, the military will just improve the original RE code or characterization. That never happens. It's not even a possibility.

What really happens, in a few narrow circumstances, is that a person can prove that their RE Code (or characterization of service) was inaccurate or it was an injustice based on the facts considered.

For example, if you were supposed to get an RE-2, but they just recorded it incorrectly, that would be inaccurate and the record could be changed. If you could prove that racism or sexism resulted in a more harsh RE code for you than received by others, that would be an injustice.

Without that sort of argument though, you can't get an your RE code changed.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.