How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 14268
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was separated with a general under honorable conditions

Customer Question

I was separated with a general under honorable conditions for misconduct(drug abuse)it was one night of a bad desision I have a reentry code of 4 I was in the Army
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: I'm already out so their not too intrested in speaking with me I've tried the VA and army recruiters
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can the reentry code have the ability to be changed by a review board given the one time circumstance
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.


Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your situation. Unfortunately, despite what information might be floating around on the internet the Boards (Discharge Review and Board for Corrections of Military Records-depending on how long ago someone was discharge) do not have the authority, nor will they, upgrade a discharge or change an RE code, etc., for anything other than a legal error or an "injustice." The fact that someone made a one time error in judgment or that they have lived a spotless and stellar life after service, has no bearing on whether an change in their discharge record can be made.

So, unless you have evidence of the error or injustice I mentioned, there wouldn't generally be any pay off in filing for a change. You certainly have the right to try though. You can find out how to do so by going to Board sites to see which Board you would apply to. Here are their links:

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. However, I will be out of pocket starting in 2 hours for up to 6 days and will have to get back to you after I return. If you do not need any further information, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above of my efforts to assist you, then Site will then give me credit for assisting you. Thank you

Related Military Law Questions