How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 20401
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In october 2015 i received n ELS from basic with an RE 2C.

Customer Question

hello. in october 2015 i received n ELS from basic with an RE 2C. will i be eligible to reenlist?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: i have not i was hoping to find out before talking to someone
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no sir
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 9 months ago.


Thank you for the information and your question. However, I need to know what the separation code was (3 letters) and what the narrative said in reason for discharge. Also, what Service were you separated from?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
JFY and Air Force
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that information, although I don't see where you answered the part about your narrative reason on your discharge about the reason for the discharge. That said, the JFY indicates that you were separated for a psychological disorder of some sort. In addition the 2C is a a reenlistment code that is a permanent bar to reenlistment. In other words, you cannot reenlist in the future with this RE code. In addition, with the JFY code, you would not be able to reenlist, even with a different RE code unless the military doctors at your accessions said you never had, and don't currently have, the psychological issue that they diagnosed you with before this separation.

If you can find a doctor that says you never had the medical issue you were separated for, then you might consider filing a petition with the AF Discharge Review Board for a change in your RE code and separation code. But, it is difficult to be successful with that petition unless there was a clear error on the part of the AF.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could let me know that I answered your question and also leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did have an independent doctor clear me of any anxiety disorder. How do I fill out a petition?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 9 months ago.

You can file a DD Form 293 with the AFDRB. This is their website link:

Let me know if you need any more assistance. Otherwise, please take a moment to leave a positive rating of my efforts to assist you today. Thanks

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 9 months ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answers I provided to you on the 9th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received your rating.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. I will be away from my computer and office for about 5 days starting on the 11th, but I will reply as soon as I can after I return. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.