P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I am helping a family financially but they are now going to

Customer Question

I am helping a family financially but they are now going to apply for receiving their spouses military retiree social security.The spouse died in 2004 but they are only now eligible this year. His service was from the mid 60's to the late 80's. his service was 25 years at the rank of first sergeant at the end of his service. He served in the air force and yes, I'm giving an Army rank but he was the equivalent of the rank stated. I need an estimate amount that the family might receive so I will have an idea what I should properly continue to give to keep the family in good shape.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No, the family has struggled for a long time after there spouses death and they look like they can finally get the help they have needed. Thank you.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question.
I am sorry, but because we do not know what his pay was when he retired and because his service was started prior to 1980, we cannot calculate this, it is something you need to contact the Air Force pension office about and they have to pull up his records and payroll to find out what his pension is worth. I apologize.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, Thank you

Again, I am sorry, but we just do not have access to the information necessary.