Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Do you have experience in retirement and sbp election?

Customer Question
do you have experience in retirement and sbp election?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
1/5/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I do...can you tell me the specific question(s)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am trying to get a portion of my ex wifes retirement but she is insisting i only give her 15%. I am giving her 37.2 percent from my retirement under Poe vs Poe. I need to know what percentage I can get because its seems to me unfair and not equitable. Additionally, she has filed a contemtp charge for SBP because I did not elect her because she did not file a deemed election within one year of our divorce. Proof is I recieved a letter from DFAS telling her she was ineligible because she did not file within one year. Your thoughts

Did the divorce court order you pay SBP?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was in our agreement, but even if I elected her she would not be eligible ?

I see you were interested in a phone call...I suspect this will be MUCH easier to hash through on the phone. I will send the offer...it is $5 additional (in addition to the amount you had agreed to pay)...if you accept I can provide my #

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I accepted but it keeps telling me my CC is not updated even after i updated it?

Customer service at 1(###) ###-####Can address this. Let me known when it is squared away. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
k. stand by

No worries...I am available for next several hours (am on west coast)

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer