How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 118794
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in the army reserve for four years. During my fourth

Customer Question

Hello, I was in the army reserve for four years. During my fourth year I transferred home bases. Long story short my paperwork got lost between the two bases and I could no longer attend drill at my original base as I was no longer theirs and I could not attend drill at my new base as I didn't actually exist with them. We tried for two months to fix this and in the end they still could not find my paperwork and I was told I was being discharged. However, I was discharged under Uncharacterized. I thought that was only for soldiers who didn't complete more than 180 days.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You should have received at the worst a general discharge without anything more if not an honorable discharge as none of this was your fault. The uncharacterized discharge is for people who have served under 180 days as you stated. You would need to file a change of discharge with the Army Discharge Review Board and include copies of all of your documentation and ask for the discharge to be corrected to honorable. The Discharge Review Board is the only one who can change it at this time.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.