Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am under epts discharge for the army. I haven't completed

Customer Question

I am under epts discharge for the army. I haven't completed reception and I have my first meeting the 3rd when would I be able to come home I just found out a friend of mine died and I want to be there for the funeral.
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: I have let my Drill sergeant know about the death but he just told me to talk the Chaplin
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no set timeline or flow chart that specifies how soon they will let you leave on an EPTS discharge. It is a low priority discharge and it is up to the discharge office when they get around to it. Typically it is about 3 weeks but it could be longer and the drill sergeant was right that the chaplain could help in trying to speed along the discharge for you to get home.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.