Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I'm currently in the army and i'm stationed in Germany right

Hi ma'am, so i'm currently...
Hi ma'am, so i'm currently in the army and i'm stationed in Germany right now. I have been in for over 2 years now. I'm looking for a way to get an early separation. My option are, buy my my time back from the army or apply for a change of life separation. I
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Overseas right now
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No, not yet... I because i wanna know if it's doable 1st
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes! For my change of life separation, if we opt for that option. I can prove that I have at least 1 million $ in my company.
12/21/2016
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly can I answer for you in regards ***** ***** i.e. what is your question?

Hi! I want know if i can get early separation from the army before my contract end in 2018. I've been doing some reading and I found out that you can apply for a change of life separation, which is for example inherit a big a amount of money, or anything like that. And i believe that in under AR 635-200 chapter 5-3 . Also i read that you can buy your contract out of the army, which paying the army for what you owe them, just like buying out a your cell phone contract to change cell phone companies. I just wanna know if it's doable. Thank you

Thank you for your call request. The site allows the expert to opt out of the call request, and I must respectfully ***** ***** not worry - other experts receive the request as well, and the first available expert calls. They will also have your question and my replies to build upon, so nothing will be lost.

Since you're not able to call me, you can just write to me here.

I am sorry, but this is not quite true. One cannot request an early discharge due to an occurrence such as separation, or divorce, or, an inheritance.

You are talking about 635-200, Active Duty Enlisted Administrative Seaparations, Chapter 5, Separation for Convenience of the Government, otherwise. This is on a CASE BY CASE BASIS, and is very rare. There is no SET amount of money, and this very rarely happens. For example, Don Burdette (a 23 year old sailor) won 6.5 million in the California Lottery, and was issued an Honorable Discharge due to it.

If you have inherited/won a few million, then someone in your situation may be let out, but this is very, very rare and the income has to be significant. Divorce and separation itself - that is not enough.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

What about buy back your military service time? https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/militaryservice/militaryservicedeposits/estimator.html

Oh, right - of course, allow me to touch base on this, too.

That applies to civilian employees. If you served in the military and now hold a civilian position, your military service time may apply toward your civil service retirement. There are specific regulations in regards ***** ***** requests that your human resources office should answer that will be specific to your situation. To proceed with this request, you must "buy back" your military service time. You will be required to obtain your estimated earnings from the appropriate military finance center prior to starting the process.

So if you are still serving, this does not apply.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE THREE OR MORE STARS and click FINISH to submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Thank you! Ok! last question. Is there any way out for early separation that might apply to me?

You are most welcome. I am afraid that there is no silver bullet here. You of course can be discharged for misconduct on a variety of ways, however, I am guessing someone in your situation does not want a dishonorable discharge.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Sir, sorry. I still have couple of question. What about early separation for employment or school? does that still apply? Also, is true you can get chaptered with honorable discharge for pregnancy?

Sure.

What about early separation for employment or school? does that still apply?

No.

Also, is true you can get chaptered with honorable discharge for pregnancy?

Not anymore. Or at least, not automatically - please read the article HERE in regards ***** ***** situation.

chapter 18 is not longer in effect? http://www.ansbach.army.mil/documents/RetVetAR635-200EnlSep.pdf

It is, but there are many nuances and exceptions (hence my original link for the article).

When did the early separation for employment and school stopped? Is there any other similar early separation that you may know about?

Early separation is very complicated, and it depends on each case. There are multiple reasons one can separate early but it depends on what is being claimed and what the facts are. We've covered divorce/separation, pregnancy, winning the lottery, and general life changes. You need to talk to JAG or a civilian military attorney for specific options as to your case.

Ok! Thank you for your time sir.

My pleasure and good luck.

Thank you
Ely, Counselor at Law