Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My son in law left for a one year post in Korea and never

Customer Question
gave my daughter any of...
My son in law left for a one year post in Korea and never gave my daughter any of his BAH or any other steady support for her or their two daughters. They have been living with us for a year and a half, during which time she divorced him due to his ongoing affair with a fellow soldier in Korea.
We have been supporting them the entire time while she completed her degree, and he used his housing allowance to buy his girlfriend an engagement ring. Can I sue him for our expenses?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/3/2016
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, has your daughter raised this issue with his command?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They know he's in arrears but don't know he wasn't supporting her while he was in Korea. The finance office at ft Carson based their estimation of his payment solely on his base salary, and it's less than half the court ordered amount.

Thanks
Can you tell me, is he Army?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what we have spent has never been raised, either in court or with his command.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
army

Thank you
I have some thoughts and will type them up...a few mins please...

Thank you for your patience.

First, and foremost, I would urge you to take a look here

http://www.carson.army.mil/IG/documents/ar-608-99.pdf

This is the regulation that applies. If you take a look at chapter 2, it details the requirements for a soldier to support their dependent(s).

Now…it is important to understand that in order to enforce this regulation, your daughter needs to contact his commander and explain to his commander what is going on (that he is not providing support). The commander can then order he follow the rules within the regulation.

As for your question, can you sue him? Perhaps…IF you had a contract with him and he is not following the contract? You could sue to enforce the contract…but you would have the burden of proof….you have to prove the specifics of any contract you had with him before you can get a court to order he pay you.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer