Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

What are the consequences of admitting thoughts of suicide

Customer Question
in the Air Force with...
What are the consequences of admitting thoughts of suicide in the Air Force with less than a year in service?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
10/20/2016
Military Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay!

Thank you for your patience; I am sorry you or someone you care about is having such thoughts- the military has seen an uptick in these type of issues and have established mental health clinics to help servicemembers in need of counseling.

Unfortunately, this can affect one's military career- for example, an RE4 discharge, or a DNIF.

Please see 1.2.8 here which addresses whether one's medical condition (physical/mental) disqualifies them from service. This is handled on a case by case basis, so it is impossible to predict what the military will do in any particular circumstance.

Article here

Mental health issues can result in both voluntary and involuntary discharges. That is explained here

But essentially it needs to interfere with one's ability to serve.

Here is a hotline

Here is the airforce guide regarding these issues:

https://www.usuhs.edu/sites/default/files/media/mps/pdf/mholloway-afguidesuiciderisk.pdf

Questions?

Post here please

No further questions?

kindly rate positively!

all information is legal

information only and

does not constitute

specific legal advice

or a particular course

of action. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I read these I'm a bit confused mostly on wether this person would still receive full benefits?

Thank you- I thought the question was geared towards whether it affected one's career.

Generally one needs to serve for a minimum of 24 months in order to be eligible for benefits after a RE-4 discharge.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer