Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Reading about General Cartright's guilty verdict. Does he

lose any or all his...
Reading about General Cartright's guilty verdict. Does he lose any or all his earned pension since the alleged crime was committed while on active duty?
10/19/2016
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Military Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question.

Every story I have read about this indicates the crime happened after he had retired. So says the US Attorney, at

https://www.justice.gov/usao-md/pr/former-vice-chairman-joint-chiefs-staff-pleads-guilty-federal-felony-leak-investigation

The plea was made in civilian and not military court, so while he can be fined and jailed, he is not under the UCMJ and therefore not directly subject to forfeiture of his military pension

I hope this information is helpful.

Also, it can depend on the terms of the nondisclosure agreements he signed, which are not publicly available. Those agreements may have provided for other penalties, possibly including forfeiture of military benefits, but we have no way of knowing that.

N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Military Law Answer Team

Thank you for the great rating!

N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Military Law Answer Team