Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I have been in contact with a US soldier, who says he is 52

Customer Question
years old, has a daughter...
I have been in contact with a US soldier, who says he is 52 years old, has a daughter 9 years old and a wife who died many years ago
Now my question is: Is he a fake man who only wants me to send him money?
Sincerely Grethe
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/8/2016
Military Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Unfortunately, there has been a surge in scammers impersonating US soldiers, often times stooping so low as to use the identification of a deceased soldier and then beginning a romance scam to defraud the victim out of money by saying they have medical issues, have a sick relative, etc.

Here is an advisory.

The military literally receives hundreds of these inquiries a month, and has a list of what scammers will often request:

• DO NOT SEND MONEY! Be extremely suspicious if you are asked for money for transportation costs, communication fees or marriage processing and medical fees. Use of Western Union.
  • If you do start an internet-based relationship with someone, check them out, research what they are telling you with someone who would know, such as a current or former service member.
  • Be very suspicious if you never get to actually speak with the person on the phone or are told you cannot write or receive letters in the mail. Servicemen and women serving overseas will often have an APO or FPO mailing address. Internet or not, service members always appreciate a letter in the mail.
  • Many of the negative claims made about the military and the supposed lack of support and services provided to troops overseas are far from reality - check the facts.
  • Be very suspicious if you are asked to send money or ship property to a third party or company. Often times the company exists, but has no idea or is not a part of the scam.
  • Be very suspicious if the person you are corresponding with wants you to mail anything to an African country.
  • Be aware of common spelling, grammatical or language errors in the emails.
  • Be very suspicious of someone you have never met and who pledges their love at warp speed.

The issue can be reported here-which helps protect other victims.

Also please see here

The men and women in the US service are not in need of money to buy tickets to fly home, cell phones, food, medical supplies, etc.

Reporting any suspicion of fraud helps protect others.

If a stranger asks for money, then it is a major red flag of a scam.

This information can be difficult to process because one feels taken advantage of, but scammers are becoming more sophisticated/convincing, so many people are becoming victims, and it is better to make this determination before sending money.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hi. Just checking in to see how the above situation worked out. Hoping the information was useful. Thanks!

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer