How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34759
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently discharged with an OTH from the Navy for an

Customer Question

I was recently discharged with an OTH from the Navy for an Article 112A or a "drug charge". However I had never failed a drug screening nor is there physical evidence of me using any drugs. Can I go through the VA and fight for the reinstatement of my benefits, primarily my GI Bill?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

There is a way to request the VA grant benefits (including the GI Bill) directly, despite the OTH.

But in my experience as a VSO (veterans services officer) I have never seen this happen. So to answer the question, can you go to the VA and request benefits? Yes.

Will you be successful?

Likely not.

If the goal is to get benefits, the best way to approach this (in my experience) is to make your pitch to the board of corrections...if your can convict the board of corrections your record is in error the board of corrections can "upgrade" the characterization. Not easy to do...but more likely than trying to convince the VA to grant benefits on that OTH.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding