How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19179
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the process of changing a discharge from general

Customer Question

What is the process of changing a discharge from general under honorable conditions to Honorable? My husband wants to change is discharge code once he gets out
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: I have not, my husband has he's the one who will be getting the general discharge..
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No Thank you
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You have to file a DD Form 149 with the military records corrections board. That board has the power to alter a discharge status and the reenlistment codes related to that discharge.

However, to obtain an upgrade, your husband would have to prove that the discharge status and codes that he received were an error or an injustice, at the time he got them.

There is not an automatic right or process for discharge upgrades, and in fact, they are intended to be permanent reflections of the period of time. Neither the passage of time or good behavior allow for an upgrade.

Only proof of an error or injustice in the record allows for one.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Related Military Law Questions