How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 117438
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Look, I'm a patriot, but I HATE being in the Army. I

Customer Question

Look, I'm a patriot, but I HATE being in the Army. I absolutely loathe having to go. I'm not a "pansy" or "weak". I've been very successful in the civilian world, but I can't stand having to drill. I'm an EN Officer in the Reserves and I want out. I still have 5 years left on my contract though. Is there any way I can get out without having to bust tape or do something against my conscience in order to get forced out?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I want help getting out... My guilt is through the roof just seeking out this answer, but I'm a square peg in a round hole here. As an enlisted person, I did a ton to mask my distaste. As an Officer, I've repeatedly been sat down with other Officers to "toughen up" or get more "hard". It's just not me. Or my personality. I hate drilling and have got to get out. I've never been a nervous or anxious person in my life, but the thought of going to drill alone gives me heavy anxiety.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, once you signed that contract, the Army owns you. Short of some less than honorable discharge or medical discharge, they do not have a way to just let soldiers walk away from those contracts. There are many people who go into the Army and later find out they dislike Army life or it simply is not for them and that does not mean they are weak or that they are less than patriotic, but they are bound to fulfill their contract and they cannot just walk away until their contract is over. The only way out I am sorry to say is a medical reason or if they put you out for cause (which I am quite sure you do not want to happen).
Thus, legally you are going to have to remain and honor your commitment unless you are injured and can medically separate from the service contract.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'd have to do it medically? That's awful. I'm looking for the impossible. For the extreme cases. I want to get out. I'm looking at how to do it. Can you tell me a way?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You are hoping for the impossible really other than medical discharge.
If you are injured and become disabled to where you cannot perform your duties any longer in the Army, then the military medical officers would have to examine you and submit a request for medical discharge based on your medical condition. Medical conditions can include psychological conditions as well, but be careful because psychological conditions can lead to implications in civil***** *****fe, such as stopping you from getting jobs and stopping you from being able to purchase or carry weapons. Physical conditions that prevent you from performing would get you a medical discharge as well though without such impairment to your civil***** *****fe.

Related Military Law Questions