Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Got Bad Conduct Discharge For UA/AWOL. Can I Own A Firearm?

In 1989 I received a...
In 1989 I received a bad conduct discharge for UA/AWOL at a special court martial. I believe the maximum penalty at the time was 6 months. Does this bar me from owning a firearm?
I have not talked to anyone in the chain of command about this. I was discharged with a BCD.
9/24/2016
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
The Special Court conviction is considered a "misdemeanor" under military law. So it will have NO impact on your right to possess a firearm.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does the bad conduct discharge have any bearing on gun ownership?
None whatsoever. It is simply a "charachterization" on the discharge. No more...no less.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! I have read a number of conflicting opinions on this subject and had feared that I had been in violation of the law all these years.
Welcome. It is true if you go to a GENERAL court martial and are convicted and receive a BCD you loose your rights to a weapon...but that is because of the type of court (a general court is a felony court).