Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I am in the Army. I recently got promoted to E5, so now im

Customer Question
an NCO. Im in a...
I am in the Army. I recently got promoted to E5, so now im an NCO. Im in a relationship with an E2 which began before i was promoted. I know there are rules and regulations covering this but i was hoping for a little more detailed insight on what we have to do to be able to keep our relationship. Also if we should bring it up to the chain of command or not because we are tired of hiding it. What are the consequences if we dont bring it up and we get caught?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
9/24/2016
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Army Command Policy (AR 600-20) covers this. If you are are an E5, it is considered fraternization...if caught you both could be prosecuted.

It would be a violation of Art 92 UCMJ (AR 600-20 constitutes an order...if you violate it you could be sent to court martial or Art 15)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer