How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I turned myself in for using a controlled substance. I spent

Customer Question

Hi. I turned myself in for using a controlled substance. I spent the following weeks at a rehab facility of my choice. I've been in 6 years. I'm being charged with article 112A . They are offering reduction of one pay grade , an other than honorable discharge which takes my benefits and of course restriction. I don't want to fight and risk a felony conviction on my civilian record but I hate to lose my benefits. What is the best course of action?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if you do not take the offer, you will be convicted because you turned yourself in and that is all the evidence they need to convict you I am afraid. I know you lose your benefits, but that is at least better for you than having a felony conviction, since you can get a job without a felony conviction and start working on building new benefits. Sadly though, in this situation, your options are not really very many and none of them are very good for you.

Related Military Law Questions