P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I need to retrieve a copy of both versions of my DD214. I

Customer Question

I need to retrieve a copy of both versions of my DD214. I have an ebenifits account yet i have not been able to successfully retrieve a copy that way
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: Not recently. I separated without an official copy and was told one would be sent to my mail address
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know how to go about upgrading my discharge code as well
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I begin the process of upgrading my discharge code if possible. It is currently JKK. What are my options?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

You can request your records (including your DD214s) here: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html
(download and submit Standard Form 180)

And to make a request to change your record you use this form

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work. If you have questions, I have to step away for next 2 hours but will respond on my return

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Who should I first contact about retrieving a copy of my DD214
My legal council (ADC)?
Members within the chain of command was a part of?
What is the process to upgrading my discharge code (JKK) and is it possible to change mine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried through eBenifits three times.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

No...you follow the link I sent...I will send it again
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html

They will send you your entire record, including the 214

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to sign and submit the standard form 180 online?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Not fully...you can submit but they require you send in a hard copy with your signature for processing