How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19179
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married with an ex military for 15 years when we got

Customer Question

I was married with an ex military for 15 years when we got divorced. He retired from service on 2002. HOw can I get half of his military pension? He is now in the Philippines.
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: I am here in San Diego, california
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: I did but they could not help since I got divorced on year 2002.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. I am receiving spouse support or alimony of $150.00
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

There is, unfortunately, a common misconception that having been married for a specific period of time entitles a former spouse to a portion of military retirement. That is actually not true. All the law does is grant state courts the right to divide military retirement during a divorce if they feel it is appropriate.

If you were going to obtain a right to any portion of the military retirement, that would have happened during the divorce itself, in 2002. The only way you could obtain any portion of the retirement now is to try and reopen the divorce so that a court can issue an order dividing the retirement. The problem is that the divorce has been closed a very long time. You'd have to establish some sort of fraud committed against you during the divorce as a means to get it reopened.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Related Military Law Questions