How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rayanswers Your Own Question
rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 41597
Experience:  Military Law Expert
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
rayanswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived as a "common law" wife for 6 months before I was

Customer Question

I lived as a "common law" wife for 6 months before I was legally married. I was married to an Air Force Officer for 9 years and 9 months before divorce. When considering retirement benefits would I be considered married for 10 years and 3 months?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  rayanswers replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  rayanswers replied 11 months ago.

If you lived together in NC here then the answer is no credit for that period of time.NC does not recognize common law marriage.You will only be given credit by the judge for the period you were married.Please don't shoot the messenger here I am trying to be honest with you.It would be 9 years and 9 months in property division of the retirement benefits.

Reference to the law

North Carolina is an equitable distribution state. This means that the court will divide your property in a way that is equitable, meaning that it must be fair. The court must begin the process by presuming that it is equitable to split the marital and divisible property equally.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.I do appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best.I know that this can all be overwhelming.

Expert:  rayanswers replied 11 months ago.

A lawyer for you here

N.C. Lawyer Referral Service

Attorney Referral Service

Address: Cary, NC 27513

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Hours: Open today · 8AM–5PM

Thanks again.

Expert:  rayanswers replied 11 months ago.

If you can rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated, thanks for letting me help you today.

Related Military Law Questions