Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I'm on a 5 year contract ( usmc ) and I am almost to my

Customer Question

I'm on a 5 year contract ( usmc ) and I am almost to my fourth year. I haven't had negative paperwork and I've gotten a few awards and good marks. But I'm going on BCP and was wondering what the realistic chances of getting a discharge with education benifits are
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No not yet. I plan on it soon. Right now Im trying to educate myself before involving them because I want to take care of myself and have knowledge before it gets there
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Um no I believe that's it. Is this going to cost me or anything or is it all talking through text
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Realistically, going on BCP this late into your contract is not likely to result in a discharge at all as long as you stick to the program. If you fail to stick to the program, then your command can recommend repeating it one more time or can recommend discharge. If they recommend discharge, it would not be one that entitles you to benefits because it would be a discharge for failing the body composition requirements.
Most times, if you are a year or so out from completing your contract and you participate in the program in good faith and your command sees that, they are not likely to suggest discharge and you would likely be able to make it to the end of your contract where you can get your discharge with all the benefits.