How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34941
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son 31 y.o, served in Iraq for 15 months. now he is

Customer Question

my son 31 y.o, served in Iraq for 15 months. now he is diagnosed with PTSD, and severe manic bipolar disorder. He began drinking heavily to get away from reality.during a manic break, he was charged with UUMV. He has been sentenced to a Saf P facility for drugs and alcohol rehabilitation for 9 months, 3 months half way house. None of his first line problems are being dealt with. Is there a facility offered by VA for veterans with criminal charges that would benefit him in a more direct way? He had no such problems before he was enlisted in Army to serve in Iraq.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

There is not a VA program that offers this...that is, if your son is facing criminal charges from the state, the VA can not step in and take the case over. He will need to work with his lawyer for any programs that the state may offer.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that there was a VA program that would apply, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.