How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rayanswers Your Own Question
rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 42274
Experience:  Military Law Expert
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
rayanswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is retried from the military wat are my rights

Customer Question

My husband is retried from the military wat are my rights
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight, How long have you been married.Were you married when he was in the service here, or what part were you married that he was in, say we were married for 10 years of his service?Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We got married a few years after he retired so we have been married about 4 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know am I entitled to spouses support
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

Under Alabama law you would not have a claim to his pension since it vested prior to marriage..

A marriage here of five years or less makes it iffy for you to get spousal support aka alimony here.You are entitled to half of all the property and income for the 4 years of the marriage.Honestly not sure if it is possible but you would be a better candidate for spousal if you can stall on filing here for a year.

If you get any spousal it is going to be limited to 6 months to a year at the best if you are only married 4 years. Five years is considered long term marriage where support is ordered to help you.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and good luck here.

Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 year ago.

Here in Alabama, courts award lump sum alimony called "alimony in gross," which gives a present value to the recipient’s rights to alimony and is similar to a division of property. As an award for a fixed lump sum, similar to a property settlement, alimony in gross is not modifiable, and is permanent after 30 days from final divorce decree. It is not cancelled by remarriage. In awarding a lump sum, the court ignores the recipient’s separate estate. In addition, a lump sum alimony payment may be a nontaxable transaction. The court may also order regular support payments over a period of time. This differs from alimony in gross in that it can be modified and ends upon remarriage or cohabitation of the receiving spouse, or the death of either spouse.