Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Considering immigrating to new Zealand. can I retain my

Customer Question
social security and military retirement...
considering immigrating to new Zealand. can I retain my social security and military retirement benefits?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
7/30/2016
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

You can draw BOTH SS and military retired pay if you are an "expat" (American citizen living abroad) so long as you maintain your us citizenship.

Neither SS nor DFAS (military pay) require you live in the US to draw the benefit.

But you must maintain your citizenship...if you renounce citizenship you loose eligibility for the benefits

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer