Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My son got into a little trouble and had a court martial.

My son got into...

My son got into a little trouble and had a court martial. The commander wanted him kicked out with BCD. However, the Judge only gave him 3 1/2 months confinement and did not kick him out the military. After serving his time now his commander is harassing him, by:

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

1. having him answer to more than one supervisor. 2. denying him the opportunity to take classes to better himself. 3. Not following doctors orders and counseling him for not passing part of his PT test. 3. approving his leave then denying it. What can he do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?

The commander told him that he is going to kick him out and will not give him a chance to stay. My son only have 1 year left and got into trouble 6 months ago. before getting into trouble he was an outstanding solider and is trying to continue to proof himself.

7/16/2016
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

This is a tough situation, because commanders have so much power in the military. That being said, he does have the option to file an Inspector's General complaint, or IG complaint, to address the harassing behavior. That can have the result of at least lowering the amount of harassment he is facing.

As for him remaining in the service until his time is up, that's not something he can guarantee in any way. While the judge certainly had the right to not separate your son with a BCD, the judge doesn't get to say that your son isn't legally eligible for an administrative separation for the same offenses.

This wouldn't be a 'double jeopardy' issue, because an administrative separation is not a court action, so it doesn't count as a second court action against him. The commander can separate him with a General discharge if he wants to make that happen (assuming the next level commander approves it).

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
His trouble began when he was diagnosed with a sleeping disorder and kept falling asleep at work. He told his command and showed him the paper work from the doctor who diagnosed him. However, they did not care and continued to write him up that's when the court-martial came into play.

I understand. That should have been raised during the court martial as a defense and, in fact, may have been which is why he didn't get the BCD.

However, that isn't really relevant to this present question. His recourse is an IG complaint.

Thank you