Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I live in Tx, and i have a General Discharge, under honrable…

I live in Tx, and...
I live in Tx, and i have a General Discharge, under honrable conditions, i failed a UA in 1997,and was discharged. I want a friend to buy me a AR-15 for home defense. I also would like a concealed handgun license. I still got my % on VA and all disaibilty for my knee surgeries. What must i do to own a weapon and carry one?
7/15/2016
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean "have a friend buy for you"...are you not able to qualify for a license? Have you tried??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is the answer I get for the money? No I have been turned from buying weapons before. I just want to know if I can process a firearm? Yes I going to get a friend to buy me one if that is legal.

Thank you

And the basis for refusal is is "drug abuse"?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have know ideal? Why
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I smoke some pot at a party in 1997 and failed a UA. Got a General DC under Honorable/ I received my VA tho I just wondering do I higher a lawyer so I can own and Carry a weapon.

First, and foremost, if you were denied application to purchase a firearm and you have someone "buy one for you"?

That is a crime.

Best not to do that.

Federal law prohibits folks who are addicted to illegal drugs from possessing a firearm. I suspect that your discharge from the military for drug abuse is what triggered the denial.

You can file an appeal of the decision (the one where they denied your application to purchase). IF you can convince the government that you are not addicted to illegal drugs I would expect them to grant your request to possess a firearm

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding
Phil

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not a addicted to drugs. I was discharged in 1997. I am a pastor now. Where do I get this form?

This is the form used to appeal.

https://forms.fbi.gov/nics-appeal-request-form

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer