How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 20237
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to get married online because I am curretly deployed

Customer Question

trying to get married online because I am curretly deployed and my gf is pregnant prior to coming out here and needs the insurance coverage
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: nope that is it ... she currently has insurancce but not for long
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your post, however, I am not sure what your legal question is. Are you asking if you can be married by proxy? Where is your GF?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is in California and I am deployed
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. Marriage by proxy is not technically allowed in California. However, if you execute a specific Power of Attorney (which you can see at the link below, along with the steps that need to be taken) and someone is able and willing to go with your girlfriend to the County Clerk's Office, you could get married that way. (In other words, your POA can stand in as you) Please read the info at this link:

Please let me know if you need any clarification after reading the information at the link. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read that it is allowed in the state of California as long as one of the members is in the military which i am
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
supposedly a double proxy marriage can be arranged.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

No, it isn't. The link I provided you, which you need to review, is from the State of California. The law does not allow a complete proxy marriage, but does allow the type I described to you in detail for military members. No double proxy allowed in California. Montana is the only state that allows for double proxy and you can Google different companies that will provide that service for you if you choose. They will charge a fee and provide you with the paperwork and stand in as your proxies.

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answers and information I provided to you on the 14th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received your rating.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.

Related Military Law Questions