Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I was discharged 19 May 1971 Para 2-4b, Sec A, Ch 2,

I was discharged 19...

I was discharged 19 May 1971 Para 2-4b, Sec A, Ch 2, AFM39-12 what does this mean and it says that on AF 452 that I may be eligible for VA compensation

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?

Recently received compensation from Social Security

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was in the USAF for 2 years - received psychiatric counselling while stationed at George AFB California and then discharged after my counselling - on AF form 452 it states that if you have undergone prolonged hospitalisation or suffered from wounds, injury or disease while in service it is advised to apply for compensation form the VA on form 21-526EZ - this form AF form 452 states that I am entitled to file an application ( at any time ) for compensation from the VA - I want to apply now - my original form DD 214 was amended by form DD 215 to delete Recommendation for Discharge for Unsuitability - I received an Honorable Discharge
7/11/2016
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

I am unclear, after reading your second post, what your legal question is. Do you want to know what those numbers mean on your discharge certificate or do you want to know if you can apply for VA disability compensation? Do you remember why you were discharged and did you later apply to a Board for Correction of Military Records for an upgrade/change to your discharge paperwork? Do you have continuing psychiatric problems directly related to those you had in the military?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess that I was wondering if those numbers on my discharge certificate related to any psychiatric reasoning for discharge so that I could state on my VA Form 21-526EZ exactly what my discharge was for in relation to a VA Disability Compensation claim - not sure if my recent psychiatric problems could be related to those I had in the military but have undergone 20 years of psychiatric assessment and or treatment due to a form of criminal activity against me that in my opinion was due to co-operation with the police...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On 22 October 71 the Airforce corrected the claim of Unsuitability on my discharge documents I didn't myself apply to a Board of Military Records for an upgrade/change to my discharge paperwork

Thank you for your reply. The AF Form 452, is actually given to all separating servicemembers just telling them that they have a right, in general to file for benefits through the VA, even if they have no apparent outstanding medical issues. However, it does sound like yours actually did at least acknowledge your treatment, so that is good in terms of helping you put together a potential compensation claim. The VA will ultimately need to try to review any medical records they can find for you and you can submit any evidence to support your claim that you not only have some psychiatric issues on active duty, but also that thes are a continuation of those issues.

As for the first set of numbers, those are just the Manual that was used to authorize your discharge. This is the information: AFM 39-12 is Air Force Manual 39-12, Separation for Unsuitability,
Misconduct, Resignation, or Request for Discharge for the Good of the
Service and Procedures for the Rehabilitation Program, September 1,
1966. This is no longer in print, but it is just the manual, so not that terribly helpful in your compensation request.

But to answer your other question, you can certainly apply for compensation now and see where it goes. You might try using a DAV counselor to help you with your paperwork.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. I am also helping other customer so there might be a delay in me getting back to you. If you don't need further assistance, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. thank you

Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Marsha411JD, Lawyer