Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I was given an Honorable discharge DD214 after the board…

Hi Pearl, I was...

Hi Pearl, I was given an Honorable discharge DD214 after the board reviewed my case and upgraded it to Honorable. I had an aneurysm while in the service but had been given a general discharge at the time. My DD214 shows Net active service this period as 10 months 7 days, not enough for VA home loan benefits from what I understand. I was previously in the reserves and had served 6 months and 6 days active duty training and 9 months 26 days inactive. My separation is listed as under Secretarial Authority as the reason for separation. AR 635 200 PARA 5-3 separation code JFF. Hoping you could tell me if you think the VA would consider this to be eligible for a va home loan even though I did not serve the 2 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?

I had an aneurysm at the time. I spoke to one of my state senators who wrote a letter n my behalf after I showed the medical records and sent to the review board

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would also like to know if I there is something I need to do to have them consider me for that benefit if that would be an option as the separation was later changed to "for the convenience of the government." I did have a medical issue at the time which was the factor that had them change the reason for separation. I had refused the anthrax shot while in the service because of the symptoms I was suffering from as a result of an aneurysm that they did not identify at the time. No MRI was done while in the service, was discharged before they could give me one. Had MRI at home and after surgery in the states I did not have the symptoms any longer, and I am not disabled at this time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Date entered for period 04/29/2002 to 03/05/2003 on DD214. 10 months 7 days this period. Prior active service 6 months 6 days, prior inactive service 9 months 26 days
7/9/2016
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Although you would not qualify under the 24 month active service requirement of the law, there are exceptions made for the active service time requirement for Gulf War era Veterans, which you would be. One of those exceptions are Veterans who were discharged "for the convenience of the Government." Therefore, you would qualify. You can see the qualifications and exceptions at the following link: http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book/benefits_chap06.asp

So, as long as your DD-214, and any related paperwork you would submit as required to get your Certificate of Eligibility, shows that COG reason, you will be fine. As an aside, active duty for training is not considered "active service" under the law. But again, that is irrelevant here since you qualify based on your type of discharge.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank youCustomer I really appreciate it. Just for clarification on the related paperwork, do you know what other related paperwork they might ask for? If you don't it's ok, but it would help me be on the lookout if the person at VA doesn't tell me to send a specific supporting document needed for the approval. Since its such a big bureaucracy I want to make sure that if they ask me for something I'm not actually missing something important for the application. Thanks again

You're welcome. Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I don't usually work on Saturdays, so I was away from my computer for a bit. The information below is from the link I provided to you. Generally speaking, as long as your DD-214 has been corrected to reflect what the Review Board decided in your case (convenience of the Government), you shouldn't have to submit anything other than what is listed in this paragraph in order to obtain your Certificate of Eligibility. Hope this helps and yes, as a Veteran who has been in the VA system for almost 20 years, I understand what you mean by the bureaucracy statement. Best to you.

In applying for a hard-copy COE from VA Eligibility Center using VA Form 26-1880, it is typically necessary that the eligible Veteran present a copy of his/her report of discharge or DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other adequate substitute evidence to VA. An eligible active duty Servicemember should obtain and submit a statement of service signed by an appropriate military official to the VA Eligibility Center. A completed VA Form 26-1880 and any associated documentation should be mailed to Atlanta Regional Loan Center, Attn: COE (262), P.O. Box 100034, Decatur, GA 30031.Please note that while VA’s electronic applications can establish eligibility and issue an online COE in a matter of seconds, not all cases can be processed online. The system can only process those cases for which VA has sufficient data in its records. If a COE cannot be issued immediately, users have the option of submitting an electronic application.