How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 20395
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Married sailor going through a divorce, I'm currently

Customer Question

hi, I am I married sailor going through a divorce, I'm currently stationed in Bahrain. I was told that I am responsible for providing my spouse with a car to transit to and from since she is my dependent, which I don't think is true but I would like to know if there is some UCMJ law that I'm missing or something.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for the information and your question. Can you tell me who is telling you that you have to provide a car to your spouse? Also, what do you mean by "to and from?" Do you just mean to use on a daily basis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my command master chief yes on a daily basis
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. Not surprised that the CMC said that, but it isn't a requirement, either under civilian law or military law. You are only required to provide support to your children (if you have them) or give her any money that you get because you have dependents. In the Navy, that is essentially 1/3 of your gross pay (for spouse only), not including Basic Allowance for Subsistance (BAS), incentive pay, sea pay, hazardous duty pay, or any other specialty pay. If you have a court order because you are already formally separated, then the court ordered support applies, instead of the Navy rules. Take a look at MILPERSMAN 1754-030.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the MILPERS does not say anything about transportation. do you know if its a different rule because of the fact that im in Bahrain or is it the same navy wide? I do not have a court order or anything yet because I just started the process. we are separated but live in the same household for now
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

No, as mentioned, there is no rule that requires you to provide anything other than the support mentioned in the MILPERSMAN. So, no requirement, ever, to provide a vehicle. This is just the CMC trying to strong arm you into something they either think is right, or mistakenly believes is true.

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answers I provided to you on the 8th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received your rating.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.