How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 20363
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married to my ex husband from 1993 to 2007, all of

Customer Question

I was married to my ex husband from 1993 to 2007, all of which he served in the US Navy, we constantly moved so I was unable to start any kind of career of my own, yet when our divorce became final, I received nothing, he retired as a senior chief after we divorced, which was possible because I took care of the kids and house while he was always away. I can't take him back to court because he committed suicide 2 years ago. I have no work skills, no medical insurance for myself or my 3 kids who range in age from 18 to 23 and are still in school. I have not received one dime for all the years I supported him and the usnavy, is there anything I am entitled too.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for the information and your question, and I am sorry to read about your situation. There are no VA or DOD benefits that a former spouse would be entitled to unless a court ordered a split of future retirement funds when you were divorced, which could have been done at the time, or your ex-husband elected SBP for you. He probably would not have done so voluntarily (but could have), in which case he would have paid into the system and you would be entitled to SBP via the Defense Finance and Accounting Agency (DFAS). But you would likely know if he elected to pay for SBP for you. Otherwise, there would be nothing you are entitled to with those agencies.

That said, you will be entitled, upon turning 62 to collect Social Security benefits on his earnings record if you were married at least a full 10 years and are not remarried at the time you turn 62. You can read more about that at the following link:

It is unfortunate that you attorney who handled your divorce did not encourage you to pursue the issue of a property settlement involving your ex-spouses retirement and SBP at the time you were divorced.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 8th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.