Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am a retired military man divorced and my former spouse is…

I am a retired military...
I am a retired military man divorced and my former spouse is receiving benefits. If I get married again will my new spouse receive any benefits.
7/8/2016
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

As your present spouse, she'd receive Tricare access and an ID card to get onto base. So yes, your new wife would gain some benefits based solely on her marriage to you as a retired member.

Any payments that your former spouse is receiving are not really benefits, but equitable distribution from the divorce.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would my new wife be able to get a ID card and Tricare benefits.

Yes, I said that in the first response, though perhaps a bit confusing.

As your current spouse (once you are married) she would be a dependent and permitted dependent access to those benefits.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks I was a bit confused on the first response you just said some benefits but not anything specific. Thanks for the fast response!
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer