Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am 16 years divorced from Army spouse and have not

Customer Question
collected any retirement pay. Is...
I am 16 years divorced from Army spouse and have not collected any retirement pay. Is there a statute of limitation or do I have to have the decree amended to include that language to entitle my portion. We dissolved a 23 year marriage.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
7/7/2016
Military Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good morning Corliss,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If the issue of the military retirement pay was not addressed in your divorce decree, then you will need to apply to the court to re-open the divorce to get a ruling on your entitlement to a portion of the retirement benefits. There is no statute of limitations affecting your right to seek to amend the decree to include marital property that was not accounted for in the original decree.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? I am not compensated until you rate me.

Thanks in advance,

Doug