Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Is it possible to sue the US Army of privacy when a

Customer Question

Is it possible to sue the US Army for violation of privacy when a sanctioned leader of the US Army revealed an extramarital afffair to a spouse in their employ?
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: OK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Volumes.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to say that the US Army cannot be sued for releasing information about an affair. The US government has exempted the Army from suit, called statutory immunity. Also, revealing an extramarital affair is not something that is protected by any statutory confidentiality provisions, so even if the Army did not enjoy statutory immunity, disclosure of an affair or relationship is not something that would be protected by a legal duty of confidentiality.