Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Whats going to happen to me. I got a DUI last night

I am Active duty Marine and was pulled over on base, the arresting officer gave me a DUI but i was only give blood work not a breathalyzer. I wasn't arrested just picked up and sent to my barracks room
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/5/2016
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking if the Marine Corps can prosecute this?

I suppose. I am sure I will be discharged for this I just want to know what I am able to do to save what little I may have in benefits, VA, and GI Bill

Thanks
The issue will be what else is in your record.
Can you tell me

1. How long have you been in?

2. Any prior NJP's or Pg 11's?

3. Anyone at your command willing to put in a "good word" on your behalf? Ideally a SNCO?

Next month will be my two years in the service but first year in the fleet. No prior NJP's or page 11's
This is my third alcohol incident but the only one I am going to be punished for due to it being a DUI

Thanks
That 3rd "strike" may well be a problem.

Anyone willing to say good things on your behalf? If so I recommend you put them on notice you will need their help...

What you are describing, you are a candidate for "adsep" (administrative separation)

The Marine Corps can separate you for this. And I would expect that this is what will happen in your case.

That said, you do have rights. One of the most important rights is the right to present evidence on your behalf...if there are folks in the chain of command who will speak positively on your behalf?? Now is the time to engage with them and request they do so.

If you can convince the commander that this will not happen again, it may be that they take you to NJP but do NOT separate you...frankly, in your case that would be a huge win.

Reach out to the NCO's and SNCO's in your command that know you well and ask them to weigh in on your behalf...it may be you can avoid the adsep

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Thank you sir. I will do what I can, I appreciate your time and again I thank you.