Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My son has been in army basic training weeks and regrets it…

My son has been in...
My son has been in army basic training for 5 weeks and regrets it terribly. how can he get out before training is over?
7/4/2016
Sam, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel. Your son needs to write the letter to his recruiter. Once in basic training, there are usually two main discharges that used to send recruits home. One is the Entry Level Separation (ELS) and the other is the Existing Prior to Service (EPTS) - this is based on a pre existing medical condition that he had, but thought it would not matter but it is interfering with his ability to complete the training.

These are both uncharacterized discharges (not honorable or dishonorable). These discharges are used for soldiers who've been in the Army under 6 months. The ELS is a catch-all discharge, where you are basically just not compatible with military service.

I suggest your son should have a good reason for not wanting to uphold his contract other than "I just don't like it" If he does decide to get out of the contract before shipping out, write the recruiter as soon as possible. Don't expect a friendly response from the recruiter. He may be angry. But he'll process the request. It requires lots of shuffling and paperwork, but no one can force him to stay. Once he has contacted his recruiter, his immediate supervisor will be notified and of course he will be required to interview about why he wants to leave.

Of course, it does sound as if he is doing well. Platoon leader means they see leadership in him. And yes, there are many changes that take place as one goes into the military. It is a face track to adult hood.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Otherwise, a positive rating will ensure I get credit for my time and information. Thank you. Have a safe Independence Day

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
From what I understand this would have to be done before basic training is over what happens if I can't get this information to him by that time he hasn't called and I don't know if he's getting my letters because I don't get any response to them

Yes, it needs be done sooner than later. I am sure he is getting your letters. You can call his recruiter and verify his address. But they have little time to write home while in basic and the time they do get they use it to sleep.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I get his recruiters number and do they read the mail because if they do I'm sure they won't like me explaining to him how to get out of boot camp

No. It is not prison. They do not read the mail in the military. Where did your son enlist? You can contact the local recruiter in your area and they can pull his name and get you his address.

Just tell them you want to verify his address because you have written and not heard from him.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is at Fort Jackson South Carolina

Ok. Thank you. But you can contact the recruiter in your area and give them the information you have and they can verify the address for you. That's your concern, right? That he is not getting your letters?

And as I said, recruits are tired. They are up before dawn and bed after sunset. There is little time to do any writing home. So I am sure he is getting your letters. It is not prison, and his letters are not being opened and read. Anything you say is between you and him.

I need to sign off for a bit. But I will check back later this evening. If you have other questions, please post them here and I will respond in a few hours. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank u
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just one more question I promise how can I get a phone call to speak with him he called when he first arrived there but has never called again

Phone calls are difficult. Generally, they are only allowed to receive phone calls if a family member is dying or has died. But you can discuss that with the recruiter when you go to verify his address.

Sam, Attorney at Law
Sam, Attorney at Law