Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My grandson enlisted in the navy took the oath and was given

Customer Question
My grandson enlisted in the...
My grandson enlisted in the navy took the oath and was given a ship out date for boot camp in a few months. Today his recruiter called him an said that they shredded his contract because of lack of funds . He could try again at a later date but would have to go through the entire process again. This sounds strange to us. What should he do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
6/30/2016
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. All the term "shredded" sounds like an odd term to use for cancel, the Navy, or any Service for that matter, could decide to either defer or cancel a contract based on a change in need. In other words, the contract is based on the needs of the service, which can change. I don't know if they had selected him for a particular program or slot that they no longer have, which might make more sense, or if he was going in without a particular rating promised, which is less likely. He should consider contacting the Commanding Officer of the Recruiting Command in that area to get more details on exactly why he isn't being brought onboard at this time and why he can't just be deferred, versus have to reapply at some unknown time in the future.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 30th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer