How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19319
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was a former specialist in the army guard. Originally from

Customer Question

I was a former specialist in the army guard. Originally from Michigan. I completed my training and mover to Pennsylvania, back home to michigan and then finally to the bay area of california. I went to a recruiters office to sign for cal guard in which the contract said i had 2 months to show up for drill at my new unit. However my living situation changed and I missed the deadline. I got a call from higher ups stating i was on the borderline of getting a general discharge. I called back to see if there was anything i could do to fix things and i was told no and to stand by for further instructions. That was december of 2014. It is now summer of 2016 and I have not been contacted at all. Fearing for the worst I'm making it a mission to go to the nearest guard recruiting office and turn myself in, i figure at this point ive already been discharged or I'm considered awol. Is there any advice you can give me? Ive never broken the law in my life, but ive suffered great losses in my move out to california and now that im finally getting back on the right track I cant let it go all to waste from my mistake with the military. any advice on how to handle this and who i should go too?
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I was never an impressive soldier, before this all started i was already in for 2 years without going to AT, i dont have any gear other than uniforms, and i suffered a hip injury in bootcamp which is giving me complications now,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

I wouldn't turn yourself in. At least, not at this point. First, I'd order your military records from the national archives. It is very likely that you'll find out that you have already been separated and the discharge will be located in the archives.

After going through that process, if you find that there is no separation on record for you, then it would be worth contacting a JAG attorney that works for the Trial Defense Service at the nearest base to you. Ask to communicate with that person, so that your communications are protected. Work with that person to get this resolved, if it ultimately turns out you have an AWOL charge outstanding. That attorney can make the process as painless as possible.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.